Say hello to Jeff Smith! After working with us on the board for the Guilford Green Foundation, Jeff joined the Youth Focus board.
1. What is your favorite thing about working with Youth Focus?
Knowing that the work we do makes a significant difference for young people who would otherwise be left without options.
2. What is one thing you wish more people knew about Youth Focus?
The extent of the work and the impact it has on the most vulnerable in our community. It’s definitely a message that resonates with people when they learn about it.
3. What drew you to Youth Focus?
I learned about Youth Focus when working on the Guilford Green Board. I participated in a couple of events where we painted rooms and raised money.
I also assisted with a dinner and game night at Higher Ground. Seeing the kids laugh, enjoy themselves, and have some sense of normalcy while going through extraordinarily difficult situations made me see the value Youth Focus brings in providing some stability in an otherwise frightening time for these young folks.
4. What’s the best advice you were ever given?
Don’t worry about the things you can’t control. Wasn’t given by one person, but from experience, parents, faith leaders, and friends.
5. What advice would you give to your teenage self?
Problems can seem huge and insurmountable when close at hand. But, time and distance help you to realize they are much smaller and more manageable than you think.
6. What’s the biggest misconception people have about teens and young adults today?
That they have a sense of entitlement.
7. What’s one song you have completely memorized?