One visit to Act Together is all it took for Shilpa Philips to join our Board, and we’re so lucky to have her.
1. How would you describe your job in a few words to a stranger?
I work at Volvo Group North America, and I put together financial reports so executives can make sound business decisions.
2. What is your favorite thing about working with Youth Focus?
Working directly with the young adults that Youth Focus serves.
3. What is one thing you wish more people knew about Youth Focus?
How many youths are served each year, the impact in the community, and how everyone can help.
4. What drew you to Youth Focus?
One visit to Act Together Crisis Care is all it took.
5. What’s the best advice you were ever given? Who was it from?
A friend once said, “Everything is foreign until it isn’t.” Everything in our lives that we consider “normal” was once foreign, so we shouldn’t resist new ideas/things/people, which is often our gut reaction.
6. What advice would you give to your teenage self?
Don’t worry about what others think of you. If you follow your instinct on what is right, you will gain the support you need.
7. What’s the biggest misconception people have about teens and young adults today?
That they are apathetic in nature. They care a lot, more than us often. Teens and young adults have spent their lives caring so much that many put on an apathetic façade as a defense mechanism.
8. What’s one song you have completely memorized?