Say hello to Summer Foster, Youth Focus Board Member. Summer works in the Department of Education at UNCG.
1. How would you describe your job in a few words to a stranger?
I work in the School of Education. I’m fortunate to be able to train students on how to become amazing teachers in our school system!
2. What is your favorite thing about working with Youth Focus?
Our close ties with the LGBTQ community. We partner with other local organizations, specifically the Guilford Green Foundation, to provide support to our youngest folks at risk. I am a proud member of both boards and only wish there was such support when I was growing up and coming out. We have far too many kiddos displaced from their homes due to their sexuality or gender identity.
3. What is one thing you wish more people knew about Youth Focus?
How necessary this organization is to the needs of our community. I’m not sure folks realize there’s a huge need.
4. What drew you to Youth Focus?
5. What’s the best advice you were ever given? Who was it from?
Listen more than you speak. My high school coach used to say that on repeat. To this day, it sticks with me. Everyone wants to feel heard.
6. What advice would you give to your teenage self?
Don’t think so much! It’s okay to just BE.
7. What’s the biggest misconception people have about teens and young adults today?
That they don’t know how to communicate and are too dependent on technology.
8. What’s one song you have completely memorized?
I know the lyrics to every New Kids on the Block song ever written. I can remember songs from 1986 but can barely tell you what I ate for lunch yesterday.